Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Heiress Teaches Hoodlums Day 3

Over the summer I re-wrote the English curriculum. Now students know each week what will be covered and what is due. In the past, if we gave students 18 weeks to complete one assignment, they'd do their best to take 18 weeks, daydreaming, drawing, being absent, disrupting - whatever it took to avoid doing work and string things out 18 weeks. No more! Further, I broke each week's work up into 2 components-composition and literature. Remember, I have level 1 and level 2 English classes in the classroom at the same time. With my new curriculum plan, on Mondays I actively teach composition to level 1 students while English 2 students work independently on their literature packets. On Wednesdays, the reverse is true: English 1 students work on their literature packets while I actively teach composition to English 2. Keeps all students accountable for completing weekly work. Our students need immediate feedback so senior students receive a partial credit to be my aide; they help me correct objective tests and file all students work for parents to review during their monthly visits. Now that I have provided this overview, I will begin sharing specific anecdotes.

No comments: