Monday, August 17, 2009

Heiress Teaches Hoodlums

I'm back in the classroom and thought I'd share my teaching experiences with you this year. Our school is an open enrollment alternative high school outside Phoenix, Arizona. Most of our students can't make it in a traditional setting - the main campus is 3800 students, 40 in some classrooms. Some students come to us from juvenile hall. Others are returning to get their diplomas after dropping out of school to have a baby. Still other students are the dads who have to work during the day to support those babies/teen-age mom and versa-vice. Several of our Native American students are bused in from the reservation where they live without running water or wooden floors in their homes. We have close to 300 students at any one time but due to students leaving, we matriculate over 1,000 students in any given year.

I teach literature/composition I and II (freshman English) and literature/composition II (sophomore English. I have a few wannabe gsng bangers both male and female. About a third of my kids are Native American and the rest are Hispanic or white and a very low percentage are black.
This gives you a thumbnail demographic. Tomorrow I'll talk about discipline and how classes are run.

No comments: