Friday, August 21, 2009

Heiress Teaches Hoodlums Days 4,5

Thursday my English 2 students were asked to take a test identifying components of good writing; topic sentence, supporting detail,specific details, organization, coherence. This gave my English 1 students time to read their literature assignments. But Bernardo took out his cell phone to answer - an automatic F for the course- so I had to take time to write up grade card and referral to ISS - in house suspension. Then I found Sam drawing instead of reading - so I had to write up another referral to ISS. Burgandy threw up at my doorway shortly into the class period. Seems her dinner didn't agree with her. I knew I was saving that toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash in my drawer for something - came in handy. Remarkably, she cleaned up, came back to class and was productive. Janitor was there right away to clean up floor. Students were compassionate - wanted to make sure Burgundy was all right. Cesar finished his assignment early and volunteered to rub on a vinyl saying above my door - " If music be the food of love, play on" by Shakespeare. Travis and his girlfriend Cassandra insisted on holding hands and laughing out loud, disrupting the other students so I moved them outside to a picnic table on the patio outside my back door - they had to finish their worksheet or they would be referred to ISS.
I play soft jazz during class - students like it. I keep fresh flowers on my desk at all times and candy in my drawer for little rewards. I also keep a supply of band aids, hand lotion and hand sanitizer - all of which the students really appreciate. Esai brought me an apple, smiling sheepishly as he put it on my desk. We didn't have school on Friday. It was a good week

No comments: